Gas Controlled Incubators - Sterisonic GxP Cell Culture CO2 / O2 Incubator with SafeCell UV System - Panasonic MCO-19M(UV)
The Panasonic Sterisonic GxP incubator is designed for a wide array of demanding and highly regulated applications in the biomedical, pharmaceutical, medical research and clinical laboratory. Representing years of research, development and component testing, the Sterisonic GxP incorporates a collective of mutually functional systems and design attributes to offer a holistic solution to cell culture protocols, from the most sophisticated to more familiar and conventional processes.
Ideal for Highly Regulated or Sensitive Applications
The combination of Sterisonic GxP incubator performance functions permit use with confidence in high-value cell protocols among hard-to-grow cell lines, cells highly sensitive to contamination, ultra-sensitive media and reagents, or protocols that require a strict isolation and sterilization between processes. These include but are not limited to:
- Stem cell research
- Autologous tissue regeneration & regenerative medicine
- In vitro fertilization
- Genomic and proteomic expression
- Esoteric plant and amphibian cell culture
- Hypersensitive and transgenic cell culture
- Low media volume microplate work
Panasonic Sterisonic GxP Cell Culture CO2 / O2 Incubator MCO-19M(UV) Features:
Sterilization and Decontamination
- The unique Sterisonic GxP H2O2 sterilization system limits downtime to less than three hours when total chamber sterilization with verification is desired.
- All interior components and CO2 sampling loop are sterilized in situ; no need for removal and autoclaving.
- Following sterilization, Panasonic Active Background Contamination Control fights contamination while cell culture protocols are in process.
- The patented SafeCell UV system scrubs interior airflow to destroy airborne and humidity pan contaminants.
- Exclusive InCu SaFe copper-enriched stainless steel interior surfaces assure constant germicidal protection
H2O2 Sterilization - Available as standard on the MCO-19AIC(UVH) and MCO-19M(UVH); optional on the MCO-19AIC(UV) and MCO-19M(UV).
- Panasonic proprietary single-beam, dual detector infrared (IR2) CO2 sensor delivers precise CO2 control, quick recovery following door openings, and auto sampling with no moving parts.
- Continuous zero calibration is standard.
- An optional semi automatic, one-point calibration system is available. (MCO-SG)
Multi-Gas Performance O2 Control System
A zirconia oxygen sensor maintains sub-ambient O2 levels from 1% to 18%. Additionally, enriched O2 levels from 22% to 80% are enabled with proper safety precautions.
- Concurrently the MCO-19M permits a CO2 range 0% to 20% via infrared sensor.
- Nitrogen gas bubbler accelerates recovery of chamber humidity levels following door openings.
- An electronic P.I.D. control maintains accurate temperature and gas setpoints over the entire system range
- The MCO-19M includes an automatic gas switchover system that changes from the primary to a secondary gas cylinder for either oxygen or nitrogen; an optional second gas switchover system is available for CO2.
- Cabinet based on MCO-19 platform with inCu saFe copper-enriched stainless steel chamber, continuous contamination control, patented D.H.A. multi-point, air-jacketed temperature control system, elevated relative humidity with integral water-level sensor
Control and Monitoring
- The Sterisonic GxP control and information center includes an intuitive pop-up menu, high resolution LCD for inputs, outputs and performance at-a-glance.
- Multi-point data logging offers push-button graphical display.
- An optional PC interface permits remote transmission for GMP/GLP protocols as required.
- Precise PID logic controls and adjusts to all temperature and CO2 setpoints and alarm parameters.
- Selected performance histories can be acquired in graphical format for easy interpretation.
- A range of setpoint, alarm and programmable inputs are established through pop-up menus and function keys.
- Standard parameters are factory-set for quick start-up, and all parameters can be changed as required.
- Logged parameters can be exported to remote databases, off-site alarm or data capture systems through optional communications board for compliance monitoring.
- A remote alarm terminal mounted at the rear of the cabinet can be connected to an external alarm system.
- Tactile feedback, touch pad data shift and entry keys simplify operation.
- The control panel is center mounted in the outer door for easy access and viewing.
- High volume, low profile cabinets are stackable with field-reversible doors.
- Interior components and adjustable shelves are configured for easy access.
Hydrogen Peroxide Vapor Sterilization (Optional)
The use of H2O2 sterilization in biological safety cabinets and barrier isolators is a popular alternative to ethylene oxide (EtO) as a safer, more efficient decontamination method. H2O2 has long been widely used in the pharmaceutical industry. In aerospace research, H2O2 is used to sterilize satellites. The FDA has recently granted 510(k) clearance to use H2O2 in individual medical device manufacturing applications. EtO criteria outlined in ANSI/AAMI/ISO 14937 may be used as a validation guideline.
Integrated Cooling Coil (Optional, MCO-CL)
Factory installed; specify when ordering. Water bath/circulator not included. Permits stable operation at ambient or below ambient temperatures. Extends performance specifications as follows:
- Temperature Range: +18 C to +50 C, distribution +/-0.25 C, variation +/-0.1 C.
- Relative Humidity: 5 C to +50 C, 95% +/- 5%RH; 20 C to 25 C >80%RH; 18 C >70%RH
Includes temperature mapping results for individual unit per serial number.
The Sterisonic GxP Design Permits Safe, Effective H2O2 Sterilization
Unlike conventional incubators, unique features of the Panasonic Sterisonic GxP incubator permit use of the H2O2 process in situ with complete safety, zero impact on adjacent equipment or the environment, and speed to return the incubator to service.
- The H2O2 sterilization process functions with the patented Panasonic SafeCell UV system. Following a seven-minute H2O2 vaporization, circulation and dwell cycle, vaporization is stopped and the SafeCell UV lamp turned ON for up to ninety minutes.
- When exposed to UV light, the H2O2 vapor breaks down into water and oxygen, leaving only traces of water droplets. These droplets automatically condense onto a naturally cooler section of the interior floor for easy wipe-up.
- Throughout the entire cycle the Sterisonic GxP airflow system continues to gently circulate interior air assuring 100% vapor contact with all interior surfaces, ultimately creating a serial dilution of H2O2 as it passes over the UV lamp.
- Orientation of interior sample ports of the single beam, dual detector IR CO2 sensor creates a slight Venturi flow through the sample chamber, permitting total sterilization of the CO2 system at the same time.
- Shape and location of interior components such as shelves, shelf brackets, plenum covers and the humidity pan permit the components to remain in the chamber during the sterilization process, conveniently bypassing the need for a separate autoclave cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, the door locking system is released; the inner door can be opened, interior components repositioned and the incubator is returned to service.
Sterisonic GxP Performance and Availability Delivers Best Value
The documented two-hour in situ H2O2 sequence puts the fully sterilized Sterisonic GxP available and ready for use quicker than any other incubator worldwide.
Intelligent Interface through Integrated LCD Control with Graphical Display
The Sterisonic GxP incubator is managed by an integrated microprocessor controller with LCD graphical display to simplify all incubator functions
- Stable temperature and humidity conditions are achieved through a combination of performance systems supervised by the controller complete with alarm, programming, calibration and diagnostic protocols.
Ergonomic Cabinet Design
With reversible inner and outer doors, a single Panasonic incubator offers the industry's most flexible installation options available.
- Low profile cabinet with door-mounted control panel permits easy access and viewing.
- The outer door latch and door heater cable is easily switched if a reverse opening is required.
- Cabinet knock-outs are pre-drilled and tapped to eliminate drilling and to simplify re-mounting of door hardware.
- The outer door closes against a soft, easily cleaned magnetic gasket designed to eliminate ambient air shear across the glass inner door, minimizing condensation.
- A door ajar alarm provides an audible and visual warning if the outer door is left open.
- A center-mounted key lock is located beneath the door for added security; model MCO-19AIC(UVH) only.
Shelves and Inventory Management
Convenient space efficient inventory management is simplified through a system of adjustable, extendable shelves.
- Inventory shelves and brackets are formed from polished copper-enriched stainless steel, removable without tools, and can remain inside the incubator during the H2O2 sterilization cycle or autoclaved separately if desired.
- Shelves are perforated to permit natural vertical air convection through and around labware.
- Shelf brackets are formed with an exaggerated angle to minimize surface contact with flat shelves (patent pending). Brackets slip easily into vertical supports that attach to interior chamber walls with clearance sufficient to permit proper air circulation.
Field Reversible Door
The field-reversible door allows universal installation using the left-hand hinge (standard) or a right-hand hinge modification.
- The outer door includes a universal finger grip at each side.
- Mounting holes for hinge hardware are pre-drilled and capped with easily removable trim plugs.
- The door heater cable plugs into the alternative connection to complete the change.
Inner Door and Gasket
The inner design is critical to successful contamination control technique. The inner gasket body forms an effective thermal transition between the ambient air and warm, humidified incubator atmosphere, minimizing condensation and eliminating moisture traps which can harbor contaminants.
- The inner door gasket is a dual durometer extrusion (two levels of softness) from closed-cell silicone to inhibit contamination.
- The gasket feather-edge allows the inner glass door to close gently against the chamber opening for a tight peripheral seal.
- The entire inner door gasket is removable for cleaning and/or replacement if required.
- Radiant heat from the outer door, apportioned by the microprocessor control as a function of the patented Direct Heat and Air Jacket, automatically warms the inner door glass in proportion to total heat demand and condensation control.
On-Demand UV Decontamination (Optional)
Active Background Contamination Control
A continuous Active Background Contamination Control process eliminates contamination without downtime.
At the base of the plenum an isolated beam of high intensity, ozone-free ultraviolet light destroys contaminants in the air and in the humidity water reservoir, away from active cell cultures.
- Contaminants trapped within the distilled water pan are destroyed by ultraviolet light.
- Sterile, humidified air is released from the lower plenum for vertical convection through and around the perforated shelves. Interior air motion is suspended when the door is opened, minimizing movement of room air contaminants into the chamber.
- UV light is isolated by the plenum cover to protect cell cultures
- Airborne contaminants are eliminated by an automatic UV cycle that automatically turns ON for a specified period after each door opening.
- Trace contaminants that attach to interior surfaces are destroyed by the passive germicidal properties of the inCu saFe surfaces.
Patented SafeCell Ultra-violet Contamination Control
Sterisonic GxP Models -UVH and -UV include SafeCell UV contamination control technology based on an integrated combination of narrow bandwidth, ozone-free ultraviolet light, ceramic infrared CO2 control, inCu saFe copper-enriched stainless steel alloy interiors and Direct Heat and Air Jacket heating managed by a microprocessor controller.
These incubators offer the industry's most stable cell culture environment and are useful for the most critical applications where continuous contamination control is essential to cell viability. Panasonic SafeCell UV Series CO2 incubators offer significant economic benefits by minimizing interruptions for decontamination, by improving cell culture growth and expression under stable, repeatable conditions, and by minimizing the potential for product loss.
- SafeCell UV includes a programmable ultraviolet lamp, isolated from cell cultures, that sterilizes conditioned air and humidity reservoir water to prevent contamination without affecting cell cultures in vitro.
- SafeCell UV inhibits the growth of mycoplasma, bacteria, molds, spores, yeasts and fungi without costly HEPA filter air scrubbers which accumulate contaminants in the chamber air.
- High temperature decontamination systems, which can actually encourage in vitro growth of heat resistant thermophilic and hyperthermophilic microorganisms, are avoided.
- inCu saFe interior surfaces provide natural resistance to contamination.
- The SafeCell UV lamp reduces H2O2 to trace sterile water condensate following the seven-minute vapor sterilization process.
inCu saFe Copper-Enriched Stainless Steel
Panasonic offers exclusive use of inCu saFe copper-enriched stainless steel alloy interior surfaces within a technical design created to eliminate contamination sources and to mitigate the effect of airborne contaminates introduced through normal use.
- Selected to provide natural germicidal protection without rust or corrosion, inCu saFe expresses a natural germicidal attribute to inhibit the growth of molds, fungi, mycoplasma and bacteria.
- All interior components, including the air management plenum, shelf supports, humidity pan and blower wheel assembly are easily removable without tools if required.
- During the H2O2 sterilization cycle interior components can be repositioned within the chamber for in situ sterilization.
- When components are removed, all interior surfaces are exposed for conventional wipe down.
- Large curve corners and electropolished surfaces are easy to clean.
- Pass thru ports accommodate probes or instrumentation leads as required for specialized cell culture protocols. Each chamber includes a port positioned in the interior, rear wall, upper left, with dual, non-VOC silicone stoppers inside and outside the cabinet for added protection.
Patented Direct Heat, Air(DHA) Incubator Heating System
The patented Direct Heat and Air Jacket surrounds the inner walls with a natural convection airflow that converts to radiant wall heat through thermal conduction to achieve accurate, uniform and highly responsive temperature control within the chamber.
- The microprocessor controller directs proportional distribution of power to independent heating sources surrounding the chamber.
- Arranged in three zones, these sources include the side, top and rear walls, the chamber base and the outer door.
- Each zone is controlled by the microprocessor which manages continuous feedback from the incubator chamber sensors.